Saturday, November 22, 2008

Oh, nuts. This recipe is addicting!

Many, many years ago I cut a recipe off of a box. Well, I cut lots of recipes off of lots of boxes, but the one I am looking at right now most likely came from a Pillsbury Yellow Cake Mix box, because that is the only name brand ingredient on the list.

It sounded really good, and I have thought several times about making it, but I never have. Probably because I don't normally stock yellow cake mix in my pantry "just for such an occasion." But, I was needing a recipe for tomorrow, and flipping through my notebook, I decided this one had served its time and finally deserved a chance.

Turns out, it's a winner. Not only of the 1980 Pillsbury Bake-Off, but of my taste buds.

And my heart ... (but I really shouldn't mention that because it probably sounds weird to you (but only because you haven't tried them, yet.) Oh, and because my husband might get jealous.)


The best thing about this recipe is it has no calories and no fat!! Isn't that great!? Oh, wait ... nevermind. That was water.

Anyway, I am going to let you in on my little secret because I need some accountability, people. And so you can make your own and leave mine alone. And because if I don't do something, I'm gonna sit there and eat the entire pan.

So, in this season of "needing good recipes to make and take to holiday parties" and such, I offer you:


Salted Peanut Chews

BASE: 1 yellow cake mix, 1/3 cup margarine or butter (softened), 1 egg, and 3 cups miniature marshmallows

TOPPING: 2/3 cup corn syrup, 1/4 cup margarine or butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 (10 oz. package) peanut butter chips, 2 cups rice cereal, 2 cups salted peanuts

1. Heat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1/3 cup butter, and egg; beat at low speed until crumbly. Press in bottom of ungreased 13x9 inch pan.

2. Bake at 350 for 12 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven and bake 1-2 minutes or until marshmallows just begin to puff. Remove and cool while preparing topping.

3. In large saucepan, combine all topping ingredients except rice cereal and peanuts. Heat, stirring constantly, just until peanut butter chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in cereal and nuts. Immediately spoon topping mixture over marshmallows; spread gently to cover. Refrigerate 1 hour until firm. Cut into bars. Store in covered containers.


The only change I would make to this is "Have your husband store in a covered container somewhere where you won't be able to find it."

Oh, wait ... Honey, don't you dare ...... I mean, just because you're jealous it doesn't mean you have to do something hasty, right? Honey ... ?

1 comment :

  1. That is exactly how I feel about Chewy Bread. The stuff is addicting!

    ReplyDelete



We are missionaries serving God and the task of Bible translation by serving the missionary community in Papua New Guinea through Personnel Administration and MK Education. We thank you for your prayers!



For the Bibleless Peoples of the World ...


(Updated 13 April 2013)