Friday, July 5, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Beautiful



Her skin is tough from excessive exposure to the tropical sun.

Endless cycles of planting and harvesting yams have permanently hunched her back.

Her sagging breasts have nourished eight children, five of which survived past the age of three.

The teeth she still has are permanently stained from chewing betelnut.

Her second-hand clothes are faded and worn.

Her feet are wide and flat from decades of walking barefoot through the jungle.

Her eyes sparkle with life, humour, and joy despite a lifetime of physical labour and heart-wrenching loss.

She is Papua New Guinean.

And she is beautiful.



Inspired by Lisa Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday prompt, "Beautiful."

Five Minute Friday

11 comments :

  1. Love this! It truly is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. truly beautiful. thank you for introducing us to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly beautiful expression of her inner beauty that shines through. A lovely entry for this week's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I'd love to meet someone like her someday; someone who has lived among the harsh and thrived to make it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you are able to see beauty beyond the exterior. Wonder what she would think if you showed her your post? Thank you for writing! You have such a fascinating life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, so nice to meet you! I'm glad you commented on my blog. We have friends that are in the early stages of moving to PNG and I'm so curious, do you live in Goroka? Because that's where they are going! He'll be a mechanic with I think New Tribes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Krista! Since it's difficult to keep a conversation going here, I am going to try to email you. Let me know if you don't get it! :) ~sharon

      Delete
  7. I didn't have working internet for several days and so never replied to your comment on my FMF post (on my blog, Back When It Was Yesterday) two weeks ago, but I wanted to thank you for your words . . . thank you for the reminder to cherish every moment, and blessings and strength to you as you cherish the memories of time you had with your brother. Thank you for your "Beautiful" post; you write through eyes that see what Jesus sees. (And one last thing: I'm smiling at the small world we share . . . my husband, as well as his older sister, have both been on mission trips to PNG!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kelly! That is so small-worldish cool! :) Did they enjoy their time here? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. From what I've heard, yes!

      Delete



We are missionaries serving God and the task of Bible translation by serving the missionary community in Papua New Guinea through Personnel Administration and MK Education. We thank you for your prayers!



For the Bibleless Peoples of the World ...


(Updated 13 April 2013)