Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Education Amendment

“Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” ~Psalm 25:4-5

“Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.” ~Deuteronomy 4:9


What was I thinking? As if I wasn’t insane enough already, just a day after returning from training in Orlando I was also set to begin a new job. I had worked at a preschool for several years (part of “growing up with my children,” I guess), and I had taught a non- traditional curriculum (basically abstinence-based life skills) part time in a public school district for a couple of years as well. But, now I was going to be a “real teacher” at a "real school," whatever that meant. Seventh grade math. Not that I would have any trouble with the actual math part, but who was I to think that I could be a “real” teacher!?

So, it was with hesitant anticipation that I entered the classroom on the first day of school. My youth ministry background betrayed me as I introduced myself by my first name. As my faltering lead-in was received with giggles, I quickly backpedaled and went with the “Mrs.” title. It was all very awkward at first, but I soon grew to really love these kids (I knew I would - I was just a little stressed to begin with) and we had a good year (though the sleepy guy I occasionally blasted with the spray bottle might beg to differ.)

I taught the next two years as well, moving from 7th to 6th grade and adding English and Science. This year I was asked to serve in administration. I have really enjoyed that as well, and have gained an additional skill set, though I do love the teaching part, too. (And it makes it all worth it when the students practically beg you to teach them again!) I am grateful God has left me here this long, because I have gained valuable experience that will be a great asset on the mission field. It’s almost like He knew my constitution would not be complete without an education amendment.

In the summer of 2003, my husband and I spent two weeks ministering to missionaries in West Africa where I had the privilege of helping lead youth camp for the teenage missionary kids. I fell completely in love with them and have wanted to be back with MKs ever since. (MKs rock!!)

Wycliffe operates several schools around the world for MKs, including a K -12 school in Papua New Guinea: Ukarumpa International School. UIS’s two campuses serve about 400 students from numerous countries. Teachers come from many countries, also, and serve anywhere from two years to a lifetime. There are always needs for MK teachers, in PNG and around the world. Sometimes the needs are so great that translators or other personnel must put aside their work for a time to fill in at the school. Please pray that God will send teachers to fill these positions so that the translators can continue to do the work God has called them to do in the villages.

As for what, exactly, I might do with MK education or youth ministry, I don't yet know. God has yet to reveal his exact plans for me. However, I am investigating the training I will need for these positions and I look forward to seeing how He might choose to utilize my amended resume'. Anyone care to join me?

If you are interested in teaching MKs, know someone who might be, or just want to see what it’s all about, click on the links below for more information.

For a brochure about teaching at UIS, click here. (This is a PDF file and requires Adobe Acrobat reader to open.)

Several videos about teaching MKs and teaching at UIS can be found here.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Sharon~!
    Thanks for all my posts sorry it has taken me so long to get to your blog! We are having a girl on the 15th because I am having a c-section yup number 3! So excited to hear about Wycliffe and thanks for updating me on the Cashion's that is great to hear that they are coming to our side of the world as well! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. When are you heading to PNG? I've been here in Congo for 2 years now. Lovin' it more and more. Happy Valentine's Day!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete



We are missionaries serving God and the task of Bible translation by serving the missionary community in Papua New Guinea through Personnel Administration and MK Education. We thank you for your prayers!



For the Bibleless Peoples of the World ...


(Updated 13 April 2013)